Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mama's Weekend Out

On November 1st I was able to go on my first weekend away from my boys, without my husband. There were 5 of us all together that escaped to Downtown Portland for a weekend getaway.

{Kai took this photo of me while we waited for my ride}


Jamie, Aimee, Rianna and I left Eugene late Friday afternoon. We ate on the way up and then stopped in Oak Grove to meet up with Carina. She was at the "Puckett Love Shack", a gorgeous home owned by here aunt + uncle where Carina lived before she got married last year. They put on a lot of social events, but this was "First Friday" a casual potluck style gathering of friends, family and extended acquaintances on the first Friday of the month.

We gathered by the fire inside, got a tour of the house, and eventually went outside to the barn. It was such a fun time and the 4 of us with kids were relishing the ability to have long adult conversations with no interruptions and not having to get back home for bedtimes.

{Top: Jamie, Carina + I. Bottom: Shandell, Jamie, Rianna, Aimee}

Afterwards we headed to our hotel, lugging all of our stuff with us. We packed a lot of snacks and drinks. We unpacked, settled in and just enjoyed each other's company. The drive must have worn us out because we were all headed to bed before midnight. 

{In the barn @ PLS: red lighting courtesy of the toasty warm heat lamps}

Saturday morning we took our time getting ready. I snuck in a quick FaceTime chat with my guys.


Then we all split up for a bit. Carina + I went to coffee at Barista with my best friend from High School, Lindsey who lives in the area. It was great to catch up, as always. Afterwards we met up with Rianna + Aimee who were out shopping. We hit up Nordstrom Rack, and then Forever 21 and H&M at Pioneer Square. We have a Forever 21 in Eugene but it's probably a quarter the size of the Portland one, plus we had no limitations on time and no kids to tend to.



After lunch we headed back to the hotel to meet up with Jamie who had to tend to family business nearby. Then shopping again! I'm not a big shopper, but I just thoroughly enjoyed the social aspect of it. We had a great time. 

That night we went to dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery. Everywhere we went was nearby, we walked about 8 blocks from our hotel to the restaurant. During dinner there were a few mishaps, a spilled drink and a forgotten order so they brought us a free dessert and gave us the 40% employee discount for our "troubles", we were all thrilled, being the budget conscious ladies that we are.



Afterwards we spent more time at the hotel, and tried to go to sleep around midnight. However, our room was situated right next to the pool and weight room. The tv in the weight room was blaring nearly all night and then the sound of weights clanking on the floor woke us at 6am. A friendly complaint from Jamie and we got a free breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, it was quite delicious. We were feeling pretty blessed by 2 discounted meals in a row.



Once we checked out we did some more shopping downtown and I was about to drop. The constant walking and lack of sleep was catching up to me. I still had a good time, I was just exhausted. Then we headed to Ikea, which is probably the last place you'd want to go when tired…but we don't have one so it was a must! I budgeted pretty tight so I only got a few things; some grey curtains that I'm super excited to put up along our sliding glass door once we paint the back living room, a few kid's room storage items, and a couple little toys to give the boys when I got home. I had only been to Ikea one other time, with Ben, YEARS ago and we didn't even realize there was more store downstairs. We went through the showroom and then thought the downstairs was just a warehouse for picking up your furniture. Imagine my surprise when I encountered miles more of Ikea goods. It was a little overwhelming but pretty exciting. Ben + I are already brainstorming a day trip there for just the two of us. 

We said our good byes to Carina and headed back to Eugene. I got dropped off at home just before 7pm Sunday night. I was so excited to see my sweet boys already in their jammies, waiting by the door for me to get home. Ben had the house ready for me to come home and relax in, cleaner than it was before I'd left. I missed them a ton, but was so grateful to take some time out for myself.




Thanks so much to Jamie for orchestrating the trip and to all the other girls as well. I had a great time visiting with all of you, I can't wait for next year!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad you had so much fun :) Also, I also have gray curtains from IKEA on our sliding glass door...hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site