Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thankful on a Thursday: Community

I truly believe that we are made to exist in community. I'm not theologist or pastor, so I'm not going to give you a sermon with a slew of Biblical examples. I believe this, because the Bible does illustrate it, but also because I feel it. When I'm in fellowship with others, my spirit is lifted and even when some things aren't going well, life feels more "right". If I'm away from others for an extended period, it has the opposite effect. Something feels off and I of course miss my family, friends, + church community.

I know this could also be due to the fact that I'm mostly an extrovert, but even so I'm also very much a home-body. I would often rather hang out at home than go out to dinner or a party. I also know many an introvert that know + feel exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to the need for community + authentic fellowship.

Recently our church went through some major changes. Much of it has been very difficult, and we've lost some valuable members. However, I feel an overwhelming sense of community among the remaining congregation. Especially among a new group of volunteers + leaders who have stepped up to make sure ministries still function to serve the congregation, our city, and the world. It amazes me how God uses hardships for change and gives beauty for ashes.

I'm so thankful for...

471. a community of believers with which to worship, serve, create, lift up, minister, love + so much more.

472. well fitting clothes + a husband who sometimes spoils me.

473. the way Malakai says "mama!" + smiles at me randomly throughout the day. It's like he's seeing me for the first time in ages, even though I've been right by his side the whole time.


474. lists. I just can't get enough of making lists. They help me stay organized get the jumbled thoughts out of my head to make room for more.

475. amazing deals.
{adorable slippers, $1.50 clearance yo!}

476. infant's ibuprofen + sesame street on our tivo. Without which, last night's sleep strike may have lasted forever.

477. being busy in a good way. When I feel depended upon to get something done, it motivates me and makes me feel useful. When I have a ton of things to do, none of which are enjoyable and all are thankless, that's when it gets a little rough.

478. God's way of guiding us by flinging doors open, gently closing them, or even slamming some shut.

479. the sun peeking through the clouds twice in one otherwise grey wintery week.

480. some quiet time to myself to type out this list of things + people I'm oh so grateful for.

What are you thankful for this week?



2 comments:

  1. That's a good list (and adorable pictures!). I'm so thankful for our church family too. Our kids have found great friends and we have so much fun with our Sunday School group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love #473...and love his name! so cute

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site