Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thankful on a Thursday: on being a mama

I've always loved babies and kids. I helped raise my much younger siblings and volunteered to work with children whenever I could. Then eventually I got my BA in Elementary Education and a license to teach K-5.

Being a mother is so much different. I love it even more than the career I wanted and staying home with my son is even more rewarding (and challenging). I enjoy teaching him new things, giving him endless and unconditional love, and nurturing every part of him to help him grow into the person God has created him to be. It's so beautiful how this parallels God's relationship to us.

This past week has been a struggle. Everyone always says "a baby changes everything" which is obviously true. I've had a hard time making sure Malakai gets what he needs, especially attention, when our house is in such disarray. Yesterday I said to Ben, "I hate it here". I didn't really mean it, and he knew that. I don't hate our new house at all, but I think I was so focused on getting beyond the stress of buying a home that I didn't prepare for the stress of owning a home! Being a mama makes a lot of things harder {travel, house work, relationships, moving} but it makes much of life so much sweeter!

Here is what I'm thankful for this week (and every week):

41. Malakai's sweet smile every morning when Ben or I pop into his room. Even if he's been fussing he can't help but grin when we come in the room.

42. Kai's sweet babbles. He's such a talker and lately loves to play call & response.

43. His belly laughs whenever he spots a dog or cat nearby.

44. His health and God's comforting presence and faithfulness when there were questions about it.

45. Malakai's simple existence. I have close friends and family who have been trying to conceive for 5+ years and my heart breaks for them.

46. For Ben as a father. We make a great parenting team and he and Malakai have such a sweet father/son bond.



47. For the amount of time I was able to breastfeed. While it wasn't as long as I had planned, it's still more than some people get and I'm doing fairly well with feeding him breastmilk still.

48. For his grandparents {all NINE of them!}. He's the first grand child on both sides and the first great-grand for 2 out of his 3 GG's. They all adore him and dote on him without spoiling...so far! My mom and mother-in-law have been especially helpful coming to clean house or watch Malakai during our move.

49. Malakai's love for other people. So far he hasn't once had stranger anxiety. He does this sweet head tilt and smile every time someone other than Ben or I talk to him. If he's being held he snuggles in to my shoulder and grins, if not he put his own shoulder up to his face acting coy. It steals my heart every time, where did he learn this?!

50. All the experiences I've had so far with children and being a child and for God's gifts of empathy and tenderheartedness that make me the mama I am today.



What are you thankful for?


2 comments:

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site