Friday, December 30, 2011

the ups + downs of 30

Okay, I know I've only been 30 for a day, but my birthday was full of ups + downs. When Ben had asked me if I had a good birthday it was actually hard to answer him.

null

I'll start with the "downs" so that we can end this post on a positive note.

downs:
  • still recovering from the stomach flu. I had a hard time figuring out what to eat to get my energy back because my stomach still feels so sensitive. 
  • canceling our original dinner plans with friends- we did so ahead of time because of my being sick. 
  • at one point I looked in the mirror and felt like I looked even older than 30...it wasn't very nice, but I'm hoping to attribute it to having been sick. 
  • navigating my way through our disaster of a house all day. I still don't have enough energy to tidy up + it's starting to drive me crazy.
  • not getting to eat my birthday cake. 
  • feeling so awful after dinner that all I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep. 
  • Desmond being really fussy and inconsolable for about an hour before bed.
  • not having enough time with my husband, the evening went by in a total blur.

ups:
  • after waking up early both boys fell back to sleep and I got to snooze for an extra 40 minutes.
  • a relatively tantrum free day.
null
  • double naps! Kai went down easy (a miracle) and they napped at the same time for 2 hours. 
  • sweet facebook messages + texts from countless friends + family.
  • singing phone calls from my parents and then my grandparents. 
  • having a living social deal for a coldstone icecream cake. (Those things are EXPENSIVE.) Due to my queasy tummy the whole thing is still in the freezer waiting for me. 
  • thoughtful gifts from my boys: Ben typed out his version of Desmond's birth story for me (made me cry). Ben + Kai had picked out a necklace with Desmond's birthstone-opal (also made me cry). I already have earring in Kai's birthstone- ruby. 
Photobucket
  • Malakai making me some "candles" and singing happy birthday (after insisting all day that it was Desmond's birthday, not mama's). 
null
  • a free birthday dinner with my little family. both boys did great, it was Desmond's first restaurant experience and he just looked around and then slept. 
  • snuggling up with Kai to help him fall asleep.
  • falling asleep in a warm house, surrounded by the sweet family Ben + I have built. 
30 will be a great year!

4 comments:

  1. Happy 30th! 30 is the new 20, welcome to the club :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I could celebrate with you. Glad you had a few positive experiences to counter the negative ones...and I pray you have a GREAT year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big birthdays with lots of friends are fun, but sometimes the best are quiet ones withe those closest to you.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site