Friday, December 17, 2010

a first: turkey applesauce meatloaf

A couple of weeks ago, in an effort to find protein rich finger foods for Malakai I decided to attempt meatloaf. He had eaten meatloaf at his Grandma's before, so I though I'd attempt something of my own.

I adapted this recipe from one I found at Wholesome Baby Food, a GREAT resource for homemade baby + toddler foods. I always go back there when I need new ideas.

I adapted the recipe to use ingredients I had in my house.


Here's what I used:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup wheat germ
dash of dried basil
1 egg

I didn't actually have any breadcrumbs, so I toasted some bread + crumbled it up. Then I mixed everything together in a bowl and added it to a greased (olive oil spray) loaf pan.


Then I put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I must confess that my first try was a bit interesting. I don't have a meat thermometer, so I cut into the meatloaf to make sure there was no pink before pulling it out of the oven. I also used more applesauce + forgot the wheat germ so it was a bit too juicy.



If you or your little one prefer more spice try adding salt + pepper or whatever your favorite spices are as this recipe is very mild, bordering on bland for the adult palette. Malakai enjoyed it, with some ketchup at first, but then he ate it alone. He needs ketchup every once in a while to coax him to try something new or just to eat in general.

How do you get your toddler to eat new foods?

1 comment:

  1. We Love meatloaf at our house...I don't add applesauce wheatgerm or breadcrumbs but instead add an egg and a handful of gluten-free oats. I prefer oats in my meatloaf, but it makes a 'looser' loaf! Also, try adding a squirt of ketchup and mustard, even some onion soup mix for flavour. And I know it sounds crazy, but a bit of italian salad dressing will keep your meatloaf nice and tasty (it will look more greasy when its done, cooking, but just pour the extra fat off!).

    Have you checked out http://www.weelicious.com ? Catherine has the BEST food ideas and great finger food ideas (including pictures), especially if you don't have any food allergies like we do!!

    sorry this comment is so long,
    Merry Christmas
    amber :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site