Tuesday, March 29, 2011

surgery: consultation + scheduling

We had an actual consultation with a pediatric surgeon this morning. It was night + day compared to our previous appointment. Malakai was enthralled with the Mr. Potato Head toy almost the entire time, which was such a God thing. Ben + I were able to listen, learn + process all the information Dr. W was explaining to us. It was a lot all at once.

He explained the surgery and the hernia. Come to find out that 100% of undescended testicles have a hernia present, it's just a matter of whether or not anything bulges from the space which is what the hernia is. So the surgery is primarily to move his undescended (partially descended) testicle and they'll repair the hernia in the process so it can't flare up again.

As Dr. W drew a diagram and began to explain where the incisions would be I found myself feeling light headed. The same way I felt when I passed out a few years ago. I sat down immediately and felt better. Apparently I don't do well listening to someone talk about cutting my son open.

We got all of our questions answered and scheduled his surgery for two weeks from now. In the meantime we have to correct his referral for insurance purposes, discuss billing, and meet with the anesthesiologist.

Thanks again to all of you who have been praying and have passed on encouraging words. We are optimistic that everything will go by the book and recover will be a breeze. We are trusting God to get us through this, especially me emotionally and of course Malakai physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site