Wednesday, March 9, 2011

symptoms + "remedies"

It's funny how we use the word symptoms when referring to the normal things that happen to our bodies when we're pregnant, and also to list the things that are wrong with us when we're sick. Sometimes, especially early on, pregnancy can feel more like being sick than anything else.

With Malakai I had nausea but no vomiting from 7 weeks to 13 weeks. It was uncomfortable, yet manageable. This time around, the nausea hit me at the same time, but with more force. As I mentioned earlier, I switched from a prescription prenatal vitamin to a lower over the counter dose and it got better. Then, the heartburn hit. The first time I had ever experienced heartburn was when I was about 7 months pregnant with Malakai. At that point everything is so squished it's a pretty common complaint. At 8 weeks, I was not expecting heartburn + nausea at the same time. I know it could be worse, but it's certainly not fun!

I had my first OB appointment last week. I got some tips from the nurse about taking B6 for nausea (apparently I wasn't taking enough), and picked up some generic zantac for my heartburn on the way home. Neither one has helped much. I quit taking the B6 again, I truly think my body hates that stuff. I've also switched to an even more mild vitamin...chewables. Yep, like Flinstone variety vitamins. They told me to take 2 a day in place of my other vitamins and it's the same thing but much more gentle on my tummy. It's kind of funny.

I've also been getting headaches: tension headaches but not quite migraines (thank God). Before pregnancy I would treat headaches like this with a 16 ounce dose of iced caramel machiatto. It.worked.wonders. Now that I'm not supposed to have caffeine I would probably splurge for on in decaf form BUT since coffee irritates heartburn I'm stuck with tylenol... which does nothing.

Some other remedies for nausea that I've found:

  • Vanilla wafers
  • ginger ale
  • gatorade (instead of plain water)
  • lemon in water (except when I have heartburn, citrus irritates it)
  • oyster crackers
  • apples + applesauce
  • popsicles
  • snacking all day
Some remedies for heartburn:
  • Tums smoothies, they aren't as chalky so they agree with the nausea. They taste like smarties :)
  • Sitting up for at least half an hour after a meal even though I want to lay down
  • popsicles (I have one almost every night before bed)
  • yogurt + frozen yogurt
  • avoiding onions, citrus, tomato sauce, spices, caffeine, high fat content foods 
  • small meals + snacks throughout the day and eating less at regular meal times.


It's been 2 weeks, going on 3 but it has felt like forever. I hesitate to count down to the 13 week mark in case I don't feel better by then. I'm at the point where I'm sick + tired of being sick + tired. The house is getting worse + worse by the day as I focus all my energy on Kai while he's awake and my part-time job + some rest of my own during nap times. I know in the grand scheme of things that the piles of laundry don't matter, but it's certainly starting to bug me. What's worse the smell in the fridge that kills me every time I open it and Ben hasn't had a chance to investigate. I can't handle it. Someone get me a flu mask.

5 comments:

  1. I found the drink Izze to be a GREAT help in the nausea dept. those first few weeks. Saved my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain! And dont even get me started on changing poopy diapers right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness Bekah! I haven't vomited but the two times I was the closest wast changing a messy diaper. GAG! Luckily my sweet husband is in the habit of changing most of the diapers when he's home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the same boat. Thankfully no heartburn or vomiting yet but the CONSTANT nausea is already getting old. The frequent snacking helps me too and organic vanilla yogurt wonders.... weird. This is hard for me because I am in love with cooking and meal planning and right now, just the thought of food makes me queasy. I am planning a dinner party on friday for some church friends and it is becoming more and more difficult to scan cook books!!

    I hope you feel better soon! We will have babies almost at the exact time. My ultrasound showed I was less along and now due more in oct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartburn was my very first pregnancy symptom. Before pregnant, I could pretty much count on one hand the number of times I had heartburn. However, a couple days before my my missed period, it mysterious showed. I had a feeling then that I was pregnant. Sure enough, 8 months later and we got Liam :)

    I had tons of nausea, puking, and heartburn during my pregnancy. The only thing that helped the nausea was a prescription my midwife finally gave me after months of throwing up. As far as heartburn, rocky road ice cream was the cure :) I tried Tums, but they would always come back up. I tried Zantac, but it wouldn't touch the heartburn. Milk gave me a little relief, but ice cream was my God send. I had a bowl before bed every night.

    My midwife had never heard of ice cream helping heartburn, but said there was no harm in it. I wasn't gaining tons of weight either, so she wasn't worried about the amount of empty calories I was consuming.

    There are some parts of pregnancy that I miss. Naps, not having to worry about sucking my stomach in, the cute bump, bigger boobs (mine went from an A cup, to B, then C, now down to B.), an excuse to not have to clean the litter box, cute maternity clothes, and most importantly feeling the baby move and grow. However, there were plenty of nasty times too as you're well aware.

    It's amazing that even with all the "symptoms" of pregnancy and birth, many women still want more babies. Some may say we're masochistic, but I think we're just glass half full people.

    I love being a mom, and look forward to being a mom a few times over <3

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site