Wednesday, September 22, 2010

baking in the dark

The flickering bulbs in our kitchen finally burnt out, and they just happened to do so during a very busy week. Which meant it stayed dark for 4 days or so. I made dinner a bit earlier while there was still natural light coming in the back window, and I brought in a floorlamp from another room.



Even in the dimly lit kitchen I baked brownies. And not just any brownies, but my first try at baking them from scratch. I was inspired by the recipe on the side of my container of unsweeted cocoa. I realized I had all the ingredients so I just went for it.


It wasn't too bad working by the tiny light above the kitchen sink and what was streaming in from the window in the dining room. I did have to take some of the photos in the dining room however.

Here's the recipe for these simple + delicious brownies.
Fudgy Cocoa Brownies


  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8x2 in pan. In a medium saucepan melt butter (in microwave melt in 1-qt. containter). Remove melted butter from heat, add cocoa, and stir until well blended. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt. Do not overbeat. Spread in prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes. 



I baked them in a well oiled {olive oil spray} muffin tin. For regular cakes + brownies I usually bake for just 15-20 minutes in the tins but these needed the full 30 minutes.

While they were still hot I sprinkled some mini-chocolate chips on top. These were also delicious with our leftover homemade peanut butter creme frosting.



enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i almost ate those through the screen.

    seriously delish!

    thanks for linking up to our blog, we appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site