Thursday, September 2, 2010

who are you "going after"?

This past Sunday one of the founders of our church came down from where he pastors to speak as he does about once a year. He is a great story-teller and he begun by telling us of a couple people that influenced him in his journey to know God and to attend church. One lady drove 30 minutes to bring him to church when he wasn't going and was so determined that she offered to wait outside his house and pray for him if he didn't go.

Then he talked about instances in which he was able to share his faith directly with complete strangers. One was a girl that was obviously hurting. He didn't just offer to pray for her, but prayed with her right then and connected her with a girl from his church.

He challenged the congregation to answers Jesus' call to disciple others. At the end of his message he asked "Who are you going after?" He told us to think of the person or people that helped us on our journey to coming to Jesus and to attending church. Then he asked us if we could think of anyone who we've prompted  in this way.  

I know I've influenced a couple people but I couldn't think of anyone that I've approached that I didn't already know pretty well. I've always thought it made the most sense to establish a relationship with someone before having such a personal conversation. Moreover I think I've been too scared to offend someone. I've never considered offering to pray for a stranger face-to-face.

Yesterday I was out getting some groceries when I passed by a lady on her cell phone who looked like she was receiving some bad or shocking news. About 10 minutes later I ended up behind her in the check out line. She was off the phone but still frowning. I thought about asking her if she was alright or simply offering to pray for her, but played it "safe" and kept to myself. I resolved to still pray for her, but felt bad that I didn't say anything. I keep wondering if I could have at least made her feel better by showing that I cared.

I don't see myself making a habit out of approaching strangers, especially because I always have my son in tow, but I'm praying that God will open my heart if similar opportunities arise. I am also praying that He shows me if there's anyone in my life that I should "go after".

Who are you going after?

2 comments:

  1. I would have done the same thing as you. But I have started praying right on the spot when something is going on. My mom has recently taught me this. If I call her and let her know that I'm feeling sad/alone/scared/whatever, she'll pray right there on the phone. And it's amazing how that has transformed me as a Christian as well. So maybe you aren't ready to speak to someone directly (I know I'm not... well at least I'm scared to). But it has been put on your heart and God will work on that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very good with strangers either, but currently I'm "going after" my son.

    My parent's had the biggest influence on my decision to be a Christian, and I want to offer that same guidance and encouragement to Liam. I know he's only 7 months old, but I'm trying to lay ground work. He goes to church with us, and I often pray with him before bed. I should start doing it every night though. My parents always tucked me in, and prayed with me before bed. In fact, they did it with my siblings too. It was a great time to get alone time with my parents, and it was during one of these sessions that I told my dad I wanted to be baptized. I was 9 years old at the time.

    "Going after" strangers, and acquaintances is good, but I know you and Ben and already going after your son ;)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site