Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Freezer Jam in Freezing Weather

Over the summer we picked about 2 pounds of strawberries from the raised beds in our yard. I knew with having just moved in a couple months prior that I wouldn't get to using them anytime soon so I froze them. Well, here it is, the end of fall and I finally got to making some strawberry freezer jam.

I attempted strawberry freezer jam a couple years ago and had let the berries sit in the fridge too long. It was a bit of a waste as the jam turned out fairly sour. I've been hesitant to make jam again since then.



I let the berries sit in the fridge for a day to thaw out naturally. They were a bit mushy, but not as bad as if I had tried to thaw them out quicker. Which really didn't matter so much since I was going to mush them up anyway. I did it the lazy way and put the berries in the food processor instead of mashing them myself.

Then I just followed the directions that came with the pectin. I love freezer jam for a number of reasons, number one being that it has a fresh fruit taste compared to canned jam. I also prefer making it because there's no cooking or canning involved, so it's really quick + easy. All you need is berries, sugar, + pectin.



The jam turned out much better this time. My mom always makes freezer jam and it's a treat to have a PBJ when we visit. I was so excited to have some of our own. I used 2 plastic containers she had given me last time I tried making jam and a frosting container, which she also often uses.


An unseasonable treat, but a treat just the same. 


1 comment:

thanks for responding, I love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

certified site

certified site